Tuesday, August 30, 2005

strange dad

It is hot here...hot, hot hot! And on top of the sweltering days, we've got west nile mosquitos to chase us indoors. To make a long and detailed story bearable, it will suffice to say that we decided to hit the mall last night. A nice, air-conditioned play area would be just the ticket for a little boy who had been cooped up too long. When we get to the mall, Trey lets out squeals of delight and recognition of where we are and more importantly, what he's going to get to do...unfettered play!!! (well, sort of). The play area is great for him to climb because everything is that foamy, soft material. I guess the worst that could happen is being trampled by one of the older kids (who are way too old and large to be in there climbing and jumping without regard for the little munchkins...oh well, that's just my opinion, i guess). Anyhow, this time, instead of Trey just running full speed from one end to the next, he paused for a moment to look at a guy who looked curiously like his dad. The guy was around Mike's age with a shaved head and was there with his 2 little boys. The little light that lit in Trey's eyes was so sweet only to be replaced by the realization that, Yikes!, that's not my dad!!! He took it in stride, but kept checking on the guy from time to time..."yep, still not my dad...on to climb the turtle!" I remember an experience like this when I was little. We were at the checkout line in the grocery store and a woman with a jacket similar to my mom's and brown hair had her back to me. When I started to go and say "mom", she turned around....OH NO! I probably couldn't have felt or looked more terrified than if she was blowing fire from her nose. Where is the real mom? Her face looked distorted when I was expecting my mom's! I just wonder if any of those same feelings passed through Trey's little noggin. He seems to take things like that way easier than I did as a child. Speaking of him, he's starting to wake from his nap now. Thank goodness Mike will be home(instead of class) tonight. I know Trey missed him yesterday.

No comments: