Monday, December 12, 2005

not for the squeamish


Saturday was supposed to be my fun day...as it was, I wish I'd just stayed in bed that day. I woke up that morning feeling sick in the throat and had to cancel going to a party that afternoon and my catch-up with Shanna that evening. When I started feeling a little better, Mike and I decided to take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood and to play at this park near our house. On the way back from the park, Mike and I were rambling on about the future as many of our conversations while we walk lead to this subject and out of nowhere, my foot was pierced (I felt a crunch) by this very sharp, very rusty, very long carpenter nail that was discarded in front a newly-constructed house. The theory that we have is that the stroller flipped the nail up and my foot amazingly smashed down at just the wrong moment. I had never had anything like this happen before, so how are you to know what to do? My(and Mike's) first reaction was to try and pull it out. Unfortunately, the shoe had a death grip on the nail and it wouldn't budge. Next, Mike called my parents and frantically told them to "just come" not giving them any details as to why they heard my crying/hyperventalating in the background. They thought we had been hit by a car or something, of course. Trey was also upset by this point saying, "mommy doin? oh no!"(this of course made me cry even harder) Once they arrived, my mom drove me to the ER and Mike, my dad and the boys all met me there. To remove the "subcutaneous foreign body", first they had to cut the shoe(they couldn't pull the nail through the shoe or it might have gotten stuck and relodged in my foot. At this point, I didn't care what they did...i can always buy new shoes) Next, they gave me a tetnus shot, sedated(with morphine and something else) me to the point where I no longer knew anything I was doing besides the breathing excercises I learned for childbirth. Then, they gave the ol, "one, two, three, PULL!!" move and it was out! When I got home, Trey noticed my foot and asked, "booboo?" It's exactly what I mentioned in a previous entry, honed missiles!!! Now at least he says, "booboo? no no no". Anyhow, I just wanted to pass this little fun day along for all of you and let you know that I am now part of that elite group who have been impaled by a nail. I know you are oh-so-jealous!! I put these pictures on here to memorialze the event and to thank my mom in advance for all the help she is going to give me this week while I, like batman, will hobble. I also want to say that Mike has been amazing, too. He took care of everything this weekend and helped me so much in the hospital. It was like giving birth all over again. He is a great partner. Ok, that's enough for today.

1 comment:

Joel and Suze said...

Oh, JENNY!! I sure hope your foot is ok by the time you come up!! I'm sure it's pretty sore today. But unlike Batman....you will run and jump and play once again!
Love you guys!!
Suze