Sunday, January 01, 2006

What is it about a car trip that makes you think about all the things you want to change when you get home? Maybe it's the constant attention you are forced to give your body in the car. This constant attention makes you so sick at yourself and the unhindered binge during the holiday season that you resolve(for the zillionth time) that you will crank it up and get serious about your health as soon as you turn into the driveway. As if this mental torture weren't enough, you start thinking, I need to get less annoyed at things and be a more patient person(of course the moment you start thinking this, one of the kids lets out a miserable 10 minute whine from the back seat until you can't stand it and have to pull over at any available sanctuary). I think I'm in good company, right? From the new displays of self-help books at Barnes and Noble and the sudden resurgence of people joining the gym, I gather I'm not the only one feeling like shedding my old skin. Anyway, from these pictures, you can see that the holidays were mostly good despite all of my blog kvetching. Sometimes, it just feels good to have a keyboard catharsis.
The kids had a really great time when they weren't in the car. It was great to be around family where they were the stars of the show and we just got to sit back and enjoy. Trey, of course, misses everyone now and occasionally will ask where one of his beloved family members are(immediately answering his own questions, "grea-tt mammaw houw"? "Ni-Ni houw?") They definitely got everything that they wanted(and didn't even know that they wanted) You can see on here that one of the favorites was the trumpet(courtesy of my cornbread). I put the picture on here of him holding it the opposite way(I guess that's why the recommended age is 3). Another thing that grandma and dad-dad(his version of granddad) got him was the tricycle(bikickle). I think I heard more about bicycles in the past month than Lance Armstrong. It's amazing how everything relates back to a coveted object for a toddler. The two most common words this season were Snowmen(nomen) and Bicycle and luckily, he got both. Another great gift was this indoor spiderman tent from Aunt Suze and Great Grandma. Both he and Abe loved that thing. There is just something about a fort that kids love. I know I was the same way. There is a pic on here of them and their straight up static hair. I know I've written alot about Trey and his Christmas, but I guess it's just that he's more verbal about it. Abe of course started doing a lot more this trip(this always happens for him with change of scenery). He's way more mobile now and will whip himself up into a sitting position without batting an eye. He's also started really mimicking(especially when people laugh...he can really parrot your guffawing).
Oh yeah, and Mike and I had a good time, too. After we had our family christmas memories(see picture of the whole Tolbert gang) , we got to have our fun trip to downtown Chicago for a night while the babies stayed with the g-parents. I have been doing my own sorry version of Wicked(a really great musical about the wicked witch of the west's background before Dorothy) since we saw it. It's sad that the voice in your head doesn't match what's coming out of your mouth, but it's just my family. I don't care if they have to endure it. I can't resist recreating it for them!



Alright, the time has come to wrap this installment up. Off to enjoy our last day of holiday vacation before regular routine starts in tomorrow(and all of my resolutions and plans unfold...really...seriously...I mean it! Here's hoping, anyhow).


1 comment:

Carrie said...

Hey, Jenny! It's so cute how Trey looks just like Mike and Abe looks just like you! I completely feel you on the new year's resolution thing. I started mine Tuesday - 2 days and counting!