Wednesday, September 14, 2005

a shopping trip worth forgetting

This is a long week. Usually the minutes fly by, but this week, the seconds are slamming by...leaving very heavy impressions. As a result, I'm trying to find anything and everything to make the time more valuble for me and the boys. On monday afternoon, Mike had class so we tried our first time at the gym together...them in the daycare, me in a torture class(although grueling, it's still much better and faster than a torture machine). During the last five minutes, one of front desk clerks came in and whispered "jenny" into the teachers ear. Once the teacher blared my name through her microphone, I made my way to the nursery, where Abe was a basket case and Trey looked really ready to go (he was actually trying to get in the stroller!). Needless to say, we went home. Yesterday afternoon, Mike had conferences so I ventured to the store for much-needed groceries. They don't have any carts to accomodate both babies, so I ended up hauling them in the impossible-to-turn-limo-stroller. So then I have two options: try and fit everything in one hand-held basket or drag a shopping cart behind me while trying to steer the beastly stroller. I tried both. Carrying the basket on my arm almost left a bruise and dragging the other was not happening either. Finally I jury-rigged(a term I just discovered the meaning of on my new favorite website: www.wikipedia.org ) the basket onto the stroller and got some relief. At one point it occured to me that if Trey or Abe was just a little bit older, they would have been supremely embarrassed at the sight of their frazzled, unshowered mother trying to balance all of those groceries. Luckily, they are still not to the point of caring and even if they were, Trey would have been too distracted by his bleeding hangnail(which he wouldn't keep a bandaid on) muttering "oh-no, hand, oh-no". I guess I should have felt some kind of twinge of shame, but I decided we needed the groceries more....they need sustenance!!! Tonight, Mike and I are going with Shanna and Shands to the Coldplay concert. It is the much needed break in our schedule that I've been craving in this everlasting week. We are leaving my dad in charge of both babies. He's being a really good sport about it...I guess he's up to the challenge. He is a really good and hearty cornbread.

No comments: